Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PETA at it again: Fish Empathy Project
<http://www.ctsportsmen.com/images/but_fish_sm.gif> PETA's Fish Empathy Project

Several months ago, The Outdoor Wire reported a new campaign from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) that was going to take up a new cause: fish. At that time, we received several notes from people accusing us of reporting something that was, at best, looney, and most likely, a joke.

It's not a joke, folks. Today, it's a reality. PETA's already begun their initial push to "sensitize" the media. The most recent incident is PETA's having told newspaper editors it was time to "either dump their fishing columns or relegate them to the crime and obituary sections where they belong."

In a column called "Let 'Em Eat Worms," Florida Today fishing columnist Bill Sargent reported that "if PETA had its way, you wouldn't be reading this column with your Sunday morning coffee." He then recounted the letter newspaper sports editors had received from Karen Robertson the Fish Empathy Project Manager (I did NOT make this up) for PETA. From her group HQ in Norfolk, Virginia, she brought her 800,000 members and supporters to bear on the fishing columnists of the country.

The letter says "Please consider this: You wouldn't dedicate space in your paper to the recreational abuse of dogs and cats, yet the fishing column encourages cruelty to animals every bit as capable of feeling pain as any dog or cat." Then Ms. Robertson makes her suggestion that the fishing column be relocated.

PETA's serious about the Fish Empathy Project. They're planning a series of billboards across the country to spread the message. One, as we reported earlier, will feature the lovable house pet with a fishing lure through its lip (placed there digitally, of course). One caption will read "If you wouldn't do this to a dog, why do it to a fish?"

In the Far East, that would get an appreciative chuckle from natives who consider a man leading a dog on a leash to be a caterer (and, as the punch line goes, a man leading two dogs is a - vegetarian!). Here in the United States, however, where we apparently believe that meat is grown in shrink-wrapped packages, that's a dynamite sensitivity hot button.

After all, PETA's website writes, "anglers will have more than fishing on their minds when they see this billboard on the way to their favorite fishing hole." Before I forget, you can see all this first-hand on the PETA website www.fishinghurts.com (again, I am NOT making this up).

If the PETA's Fish Empathy Project can get funded to the point it can afford to buy display advertising and kickoff national awareness campaigns with media blitzes, it brings an interesting point to mind: why can't we seem to get "traction" with the message that people who love the outdoors - even if they fish and/or hunt - are people as well. Instead, we're demonized, lampooned and turned into the poster children for all that's wrong with the right to choose our own paths.

This week, The Outdoor Wire's appeared to look more and more like an advocacy publication than a source for "news and events from the outdoor industry." As editor and publisher, I realize we're headed toward what may become a slippery slope for this electronic publication. However, there comes a time when it seems wrong to sit and chuckle any longer at the "antics" of people I have heretofore called "well meaning dunderheads."

That points out two errors in my own thinking. First, these people aren't well-meaning. They are every bit as dedicated to the elimination of fishing and hunting as the Axis powers were on winning World War II. Secondly, they're not dunderheads. They're organized, funded people on a mission. One they're quite willing to suffer "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" - and the occasional appearance of idiocy - to reach.

Maybe it's time we stopped laughing at them - and started defining the locations and battles we fight, rather than allowing them to bring us over a moral terrain we wouldn't even have to defend in a logical, rational discourse. For example: there are more forests in New England today than any period since before the Civil War. At that time, New York was only 25 percent forested. Today, the percentage is more than 66 percent. In 1936, piedmont Georgia was 80 percent deforested. Today, 80 percent of the same area has trees. We have added more than 10 million (10,000,000) acres of forestland in the last 10 years alone. The Great Plains host more buffalo now than in the century previous. We are not senselessly pillaging our environment. We are changing it, but change is a part of nature. When we try to monkey around with artificial constancy is when we mess it up.

Likewise, we need to apply some mid-course corrections to the folks who have come out for family planning as a panacea for poverty AND environmental purity. There are far more indicators to prove that economic development and prosperity do more to help assure a healthy environment than birth control among the human population. There is also a reason they've started calling themselves "conservationists" rather than "environmentalists". The "environmentalists" screwed up by allowing their extreme wing to define their image. Soâ?¦they're moving to camouflage their true nature.

We can get them to the table to talk. Unfortunately, we have to convince them it's in their best interests to sit down. Like the Axis and the "axis of evil" it's going to take definitive action to bring them to the table. They do not respect our rights. They are after their authority to dictate what is or is not a right. They leave that territory for us to defend. In the meantime, they've been able to inculcate into the society the mindset that to believe in "inalienable rights" is downright intolerant and extreme.

It's time to take the gloves off, people. editor@theoutdoorwire.com
[signature]
PETA' By deffinitiion,, [#ff0000]P[/#ff0000]eaple [#ff0000]E[/#ff0000]ating [#ff0000]T[/#ff0000]aisty [#ff0000]A[/#ff0000]nniimal[#ff0000]s[/#ff0000]

I have no respect for this group, not untill they get on the environmental issues, I want to see them going out with shovels and planting trees, cleaning out our rivers and road sides where these animals live.

they dont like it when some one trashes their holms but you can watch them toss lit cigeret buts out the window, let papers blow away from thier picnic sites, spray poisens (pestisides) to kill off animals to grow their soy beans so they can claim to be an animal rights actovist.

well lets just say this, she is lucky she did not come to my door with her double standards with this pile of donky dung. I would have told her strait off to "pratice what you preach before you come to me with load of not fit to be fertilizer ****"

What do I mean, it has been a well known fact that the majority of fishermen are naturalist in that they spend a portion of their time hands on picking up trash left behind by animal rights actovist. if it were not for outdoor sportsman the woods and waters would be filled with good intentions and a lot of trash.

I do remember back in the 60's we had an add campain promoting good outdoorsmanship. remember smokey the bare? only you can prevent forest fires,

if they realy want to help the fish then they need to run adds like only you can turn poluters for illegally dumping waits, and only you can pick up trash left behind by others who just dont care about animals having a right to live in a clean environment.

Thanks, I needed to get steamed up this morn...[Tongue]

nothin like putting the cart before the horse mentality to get me going....LOL[sly]
[signature]
I don't think you'll get an arguement from anyone on this board, Dave. I respect someone more when they set a good example than bad mouth everyone. Must be old school thinking. I do like to keep the folks informed of the opposition and what their up to. God help us all![crazy] I have noticed that they don't get as much favrable press as they did in years past. Maybe peaple are wakeing up to reality.[Smile]
[signature]
LOL, yep thats so true, I wonder if it is because every time they open thier mouth they stick their own feet in it.....

I do like to hear what the opisition is up to and apreciate these reports. keep up the good work..

I wasnt looking for an argument as much as I wanted to voice my opinion should some one do an internet search on the topic and pulls up this string.[Wink]
[signature]
way to go dave,i agree 10,000%.
[signature]