Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbia River Walleye
Was fishing Monday morning past on the Columbia below McNary Dam for walleye. The fishing was so-so then we decided to deep troll diving baits and after catching a few nice walleye I tied into this beast....my personal best on walleye.

Brian
[signature]
Congrats Brian, that eye is a beast. I had always heard there were big eyes in that river, now we have proof. Did you weight it or measure it?
[signature]
Yes...I always have a certified scale with me....I hate people fibbing up the size of their fish. It was exactly 29" and a tick over 9 lbs. Ten minutes before I caught this one I lost another monster near the boat. There are some great walleye there.

Brian....here's a horizontal pic
[signature]
Wow, that really is a nice fish. I figured it was right around 30" and 10 lbs but some times people hold them so close to the camera it is hard to tell. I've noticed you post on a variety of boards, you sure get around, thanks for sharing your awesome fish pic with us. By the way, what kind of deep diving cranks were you using to catch it? Firetiger, perch etc.
[signature]
The lures were not mine but I believe they with Berkley Flicker Minnows......in the 41/2 to 5 inch range......one was a firetiger color I think the other was a loud shad color.

Brian
[signature]
Those are some good lures, we use the same ones at Willard for walleye, glad to learn they work in other locations too. Do you fish the Columbia River very often?
[signature]
I go over 4 or 5 times a year with a friend of mine who guides there part time. If I had my own boat I would have no issues fishing there by myself but I have a great time with Bill. Most of the time with blade bait there but it was really slow this last weekend so we went to other options.

Brian
[signature]
Great looking eye, I'm from salt lake and its been a long time since our walleyes have been on a good bite. I am now in Portland with the grandkids. I will be here about two weeks and would love to take the 12 year old out to fish. For anything!!
Got any good suggestions around here. Heck I would even settle for trout.
[signature]