Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon fishing closure of CJ Strike
This is from the Idaho F&G:

F&G director issues conservation closure for sturgeon fishing on portion of CJ Strike Reservoir
Citing a need to protect sturgeon amid abnormally low dissolved oxygen levels and high water temperatures on a portion of CJ Strike Reservoir, Idaho Fish and Game Director Ed Schriever on Thursday, Aug. 25 signed a conservation closure order for sturgeon fishing in the portion of the Snake River arm between Canyon Creek and Rattlesnake Creek, effective Friday, Aug. 26 until Sept. 25, unless reservoir conditions improve sooner.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Nice, think something like that would be in our news.
I thought so too. I wonder how well they will enforce it. Nice to see them restricting sturgeon fishing while they are in such a stressful environment in the hottest months.
The problem is, it has been like that many times in the past and they never did anything about it then. You would think they would have done it last month when the temps were much warmer. Not sure about it up there but our overnight temps here are cooling off now.
(08-25-2022, 03:57 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The problem is, it has been like that many times in the past and they never did anything about it then. You would think they would have done it last month when the temps were much warmer. Not sure about it up there but our overnight temps here are cooling off now.

I think this year is a little worse as a result of record high temperatures and likely less water flowing down the river than is common.
(08-25-2022, 06:47 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 03:57 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The problem is, it has been like that many times in the past and they never did anything about it then. You would think they would have done it last month when the temps were much warmer. Not sure about it up there but our overnight temps here are cooling off now.

I think this year is a little worse as a result of record high temperatures and likely less water flowing down the river than is common.
Was it really that much hotter up there than when we first starting fishing up there, it was 106 on that one trip. Could it be that there are so many people fishing for them, including guides, that there is just more pressure on them?
I'm looking at my log book for CJ  that I started in 2018, and the O2 level isn't much different this summer, but the flows and water temps are.

spring flow           avg. 21000-14,000 cfm.     wt 41-50 degrees
june & sept.          avg. 10,000-6,500 cfm.      wt 68-72 degrees
right now  Aug.2022                  4840 cfm       wt 76 degrees  I'm told Robert reported it at 78 degrees
I have no previous year's data for July or Aug.

Of course, there will always be multiple factors and all should be considered. It is getting heavy fishing pressure. Like Utah they have had an unusually hot summer.
(08-25-2022, 06:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 06:47 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

Was it really that much hotter up there than when we first starting fishing up there, it was 106 on that one trip. Could it be that there are so many people fishing for them, including guides, that there is just more pressure on them?

Definitely, much more pressure, which can't help the situation.
Their forecast for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, is for 102-104* Now that's a hot start for a Laborday weekend.