Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger cannonballs
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] I am needing to get some weights for my downriggers this year. Are there any specifics that I need to be aware of or need to stay away from. I am thinking about having some 8 and 10 lber's on hand. What do you guys think?[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
If your thinkin 8s for Willard and shallow and 10's for the gorgre and deep I wouldn't bother. Just get all 10's.
Many swear by the fish shapes some like disks with a fin. I am fine with a plain cannonball. when I first started rigger fishing I bought a 10lb ball mold to pour my own weights. (Ball with trailing fin) I've made quite a few over the years. I lose a lot fewer weights here in UT than I did back east. I only lose them at the gorge now.
[signature]
[cool] [font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey Dan,[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I have 8,s. However I am going to purchase 10,s for mine. As I troll, I notice that my weight goes back further and I know that i am not really at the depth that I think I am. I know that the 10 will help a little to get me more even with the boat and get me a more true reading. I know that this is not the perfect answer but it will help. especially with trolling deeper. Than if I loose one, I will have the 8s as a b/up.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I also like the fish shaped or pancake ones. This also will provide you with less resistance in the water. [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just my two cents worth. I have been wrong before and I know that i will be wrong again some time. Just ask the Mrs.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]RILEY[/size][/font]
[signature]
I agree with rileyfish the fish weight's seem to track far better then the plain ball weight's...I have used them all and a 10 pound weight is what you want it perform's better deeper and it dosen't hurt anything if you are fishing shallower, I have an 8 lb weight that I got somewhere and it just sit's as a third string back-up and I find it really useless to tell the truth. I use the new Shark weight's , with the dimples all over them so that the chrome color really shoot's light everywhere...that being said my favorites have been the scented trailblazer weight's they really track true and straight.
Hope this help's
JARED JOHNSON SHASTA TACKLE COMPANY
[signature]
a heavier weight definately makes your depth counter more accurate. fish shapes and pancakes can also help reduce this blow back. that being said you still need to adjust for it. sometimes you need to troll at 105 or more to acheive a depth of 100. i usually let out until i hit bottom to figure out how much i need to adjust. shape and weight of the ball, combined with boat speed, will determine how much adjustment is needed. i have read that a ball shape won't get stuck on bottom as easy, but i've never tried them. if you do go with a ball their will be more resistance, but that can always be adjusted for.

in my opinion, go heavy and thin. but, i would be curious to see what others think about shape- is their a shape that doesn't get caught up as easily as my fish and pancake weights?
[signature]
I too have the 8lb fish weights. They work fine if trolling 40 feet or less while trolling slow with small lures that creat low drag. If you start using pop gear, larger lures (jointed rapala's), trolling faster, or troll deeper you might get some kick back from the 8lb weight. I will be switching to the 10lb pancake from cabelas this spring to help fix my situation. I have also heard that if you switch the steel line on the rigger to a 150-200 lbs test super line (spiderwire, cabela's ripcord, fireline) it will reduce the drag as well. I will be trying this in the spring.
[signature]
I agree pretty much with everyone else ,the heavier the weight the better.Less drag on a heavier weight.As for shape i prefer the banana shape weights,but they are hard to find any where.They were almost impossible to hang up.Round weights seem to hang up alot easier(esp at the gorge) when fishing lots of structure changes.I also use homemade 16# torpedo weights ,for when Iam fishing for big macks.The heavier the weight the better it tracks.
[signature]
ive never heard of these banana weights. are they kind of a thing of the past? ive only been trolling with downriggers for 8 years. ive always used pancake and fish shaped weights. mine are 8 and 10 pounds. perhaps i should try something heavier some time. thanks for chiming in kokeking. have you fished the gorge lately? from what ash is saying i dont know if ill risk it just yet. take care, bkidder
[signature]
I'am afraid that banana weights are a thing of the past.I had two of them long time ago,and loved them.They were made by cannon at one time. i did find some at sportmans a few years back,but they were only 6lb ers.As for the being on the gorge,no i sure havent , i dont ice fish anymore.I feel thru the ice about ten years ago,and i never could get over that feeling.So now I just wait til the ice is gone,but everyone seems to be getting there new catalogs,so I look and wish while dreaming of open water.
[signature]
i was trying to talk to my brother about what lines we should use this year. he acted like im crazy to be thinking of trolling this early. i cant wait either!
[signature]