Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McGuyver's PVC ice rod holders
[cool][#0000ff]I should own stock in either a PVC manufacturer or Home Depot. Always messin' with that stuff for gadgets for my tube or for ice fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got a chance Monday to try out two of my newer innovations. The first is an H-shaped 4-tube vertical rod holder. It is compact and fits inside the sled or out on the ice, for keeping rods from being stepped on and handy for quick changes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The second is a "quick grab" horizontal rod holder. I got tired of trying to get the rod out of a tube or coil when trying to set the hook fast. This rig sits right at hand height, while I sit on my bucket. When I get an "inquiry" I can be the "fastest rod in the west". The reel sits between the two uprights, for balance and easy grabbing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The basic frames and connectors are all 1/2" schedule 40 PVC. The elbows that hold the 4 rod tubes are 1/2" to 1" step-ups, and the rod tubes are 1" thin walled schedule 20 PVC.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I glued the bases on both of those models, and left the uprights unglued so that I can break them down and lay them flat in the sled for the ride out and back in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have tried several different designs on the "quick-grab" and this one works better than anything I have tried. Of course, it is completely customizeable to fit someone's personal preferences, for height, width, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sure looks a lot better than what I have been using. Pat, you are definitely the PVC king.
[signature]
Hey There Mister Dude![sly],, Those Look real Sweet! Especially the Quick Grab!. Thanks a bunch for sharin em![Smile]
[signature]
[Smile] I like the quick grabs. Great ideas. Thanks for sharing the info on how to make them.
[signature]
That quick grab is a sweet setup, that would work a lot better then the pile of snow i use. Thanks for the idea.
[signature]
can't wait to try the 4 holder for the pole im a multitasker and lay it across my bucket
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Alright Pat, How much? See, I'm a little too lazy to make any, plus I'm not too crafty if ya know what I mean.[cool][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Cost of materials is cheap. 19 cents each, for 6 fittings (Quick-Draw) and about 7 feet of PVC pipe...less than $3 for a 10 foot section. Total materials cost just over $3.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a PHD in PVC and I have all the cutting tools and glue. If you wanna pay for the materials, I will make one for you. Takes about 10 minutes max.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The 4 tube rod holder is probably about the same, maybe a few cents more because the 1/2" to 1" elbows are about 70 cents each.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Sounds like a plan, Stan...I mean Pat, I will let you know for sure.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Heck Pat, now all you need is a bunch of duct tape, some bubble gum, and a wrist watch and you'll be able to make your own sonar!
[signature]
TD- great stuff! Do they sell the thin wall 1 inch stuff at Home Depot or do you get it elsewhere. I have never seen it there...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Way ahead of ya, Bro. Already had all that stuff. Added in some kite string, baling wire, a can opener, an old Popiel Pocket Fisherman and a "Clapper" (light switch). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now I got a sonar that tells me what time the fish will bite. Then, when they come through, I clap my hands and it hooks the fish, reels them in and fillets them before they hit the ice. Not as much fun, but very efficient.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I get mine at Home Depot. The schedule 20 PVC is in the same area as the standard thicker walled schedule 40. It is usually clearly labeled with a small sign, but you can also look on the pipe, where it designates the rating.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Schedule 20 is the same outside diameter as #40, so it works with the same connectors, elbows, etc.[/#0000ff] [#0000ff]It readily holds most fresh water rod handles, but the thicker #40 will not. I like the lighter weight stuff for rod tubes, especially for my float tube (see pic). Since there is no need for the higher pressure rating of the thicker stuff, #20 works fine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, you can get schedule 20 in smaller sizes, but I think 1" is the largest you can buy. If you need larger tubes for bigger rod handles, you need to get larger schedule 30 stuff. I sometimes use a short length of 1 1/4" for things like net handle tubes, etc.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I watch TB and you put the Quick Draw's to work the other day and I have to say they seem to do you justice. Sure beats using the sitting bucket to support the rod. Its easy to build, light weight, and it all tucks away nicely to travel.. Good thinkin' ol' buddy.. You do have your moments, now and then [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thankee, Don. Coming from the "duke of the hard deck" I consider them real compliments.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, I do have my moments. Unforunately, most of them these days are "senior" moments. At least I think they are. I forget.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hmmmm ... If I can make these narrow enough to fit in a backpack I could still go up and down the steep embankments with a bucket in one hand and the auger in the other.

Good stuff !!

the other Don.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is the great thing about PVC. You are limited only by your imagination. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can make "inline" rod holders, like the one on my tube, or you can make a row of doubles, to stand in the corner of your house, to stand your rods up inside.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Any of those things can be measured, cut and fit to work however you want. For a backpack model, just make it narrow enough to fit inside. If that don't get it, then use one of the other three great American male inventions...bungee cords. (Duct tape is the third).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wait 'til you see the cartop carrier rack I am making out of PVC for my pontoon. And, then there is the little wheeled tow cart for my loaded up float tube, made from the wheels off a baby stroller (no babies were harmed).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
dude you crack me up.
[signature]