Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re-fly boxes
I don't remember who posted this a while back, but it got me thinking. I went to Wally World (Walmart) today and thought that I would take a look. Over in like the tooth paste isle (where you can get stuff for travel, like the plastic tooth brush holders, bar soap holders, squirt bottles, etc) and there they were. Small compartment fly boxes (pills) just like the ones I paid $5.95 for at a fly store. The only difference is that they have 5 small compartments on one side and one big one on the other (great for streamers) and it doesn't have the little loop at the top to connect it to a landyard. They are a little bigger than a cigarette pack and they cost $0.97! Wow! I bought six, and can deffinitly carry at least 4 in my WJ Chest pack. Right On!

Fly Goddess
[signature]
a friend of mine used the soap dish,he went to the craft isle at wally world and picked up some foam.cut,and glued it in so the flys dont flop around
[signature]

These are the boxes and I bought the package (about 50 of them) close cell foam in the craft section of WM. The same foam used for ants and other stuff. $4.97 for the foam and they are twice the size as the stuff in fly stores (1/16" thick foam). Some funky colors plus the usual, but make great strike indicators. I cut a chunk and put it in the bigger compartment to hold flies plus help dry them out. [Image: 090702.jpg]
[signature]
[crazy][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Gosh I responded to your post and now its gone. Duh just like fishing. Here one minute gone the next. Well my message was [not that inportant] that I had posted the question about organization a few weeks ago. Anyhow one can also use a traveling sewing kit box. Lots of small compartments. I guess the mark up of imported fly boxes has got to be 500% or so. Go heads up on your find - flygoddess.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]A while back I bought some neat plastic boxes for small fishing lures. Will have to go on-line to see if they are available anymore. They would work great for flys of various sizes.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the Tip Goddess
[signature]
[url "http://www.salmongear.com/c228192.2.html"]http://www.salmongear.com/c228192.2.html[/url]

I use these except for my streamers and large bugs. Vey much like C&F boxes but 1/4 the price.
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]I have such a congloberation of fly boxes no two are exactly alike. [well maybe a couple are]. However, I do like Plano's Micro Magnum boxes for flys.[/size][/green][/font] [/center]
[signature]
[url "http://www.salmongear.com/c228192.2.html"][#333366][size 1]http://www.salmongear.com/c228192.2.html[/size][/#333366][/url][size 1]

I use these except for my streamers and large bugs. Vey much like C&F boxes but 1/4 the price. [/size]

Nice Boxes! and great price! I'ld used theses.
[signature]
Are they water tight?
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Since they all have air chambers of a sort guess that it would take a while to sink. Might test it out in the pool to see how long it would take to sink. Then I could make a meaninful response. Now if you were to drop any of them [even the unsinkable Molly Brown box] in a fast flowing river - well then you might as well say goodby.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
maddawg if you are asking if the ones I posted in the picture are water proof......what do you want for .97 [Wink] Doubtful, there is no "o" ring seal around the edges.
[signature]
Well then I guess they're not that much like the C&F fly boxes are they [Wink]
[signature]
maddawg, you must be inquiring about the ones hpd posted. Have no idea on those, I was talking about the .97 boxes from Wally World, I don't think that they are air tight. Knock on wood, I haven't had to find out yet.
[signature]