Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Respectable Gills
Flaunt them if ya got um.

here is a few I caught yesterday. [center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7184/cat/566"][Image: 10_inch_Gill.jpg][/url]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7186/cat/500/ppuser/89"][Image: Babtisimal.jpg][/url]

be sure to take atvantage of our photo gallery, every member has a free account there, all you need do is log in and begin uploading, 10 pics at a time.[cool][/center]
[signature]
I always treasure seen you with some nice Gills. I can already smell dinner cooking.[cool] (don't forget a fresh sprig of Tarragon)[Wink]
[signature]
Nice fins, Dave!
[signature]
Never cared much for the gills. Hardly ever keep perch either. The only ones i mess with are the crappies if they are very big. Maybe 12" and bigger. Nice fish though.
[signature]
while down to nine inches are edible, but hardly any meat on them, but to be truly respectable they need to be at least 14 inches.

and what I mean by respectable is minimum entre size for michigans master angler program.

for blue gill they have to be 10 inches and crappie 14 inches and yellow perch 14 inches.

the largest recorded record for black crappie in michigan is 19.5 inches and white crappie is 19.5 inches.
[signature]
Them's some monster crappies. My biggest is only 15" and that is huge for my neck of the woods.
[signature]

[size 1]for what it is worth, the most respectable recorded gill caught in michigan is

==================

[font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]Catch and Release [/font][/size]
[size 1][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]BLUEGILL [/font][/size]
[size 1][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]Grand Traverse [/font][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]Chandler Lake[/font] [/size]
[size 1][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]8/3/1995 7:00:00 PM[/font] [font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]1995[/font] [/size]
[size 1][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"][/font][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]15.50 inches[/font] [/size]
[size 1][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]Patrick R. Mosley[/font] [/size]
[size 1][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]Traverse City[/font] [/size]
[size 1][font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]Baitcasting[/font] [font "ARIAL,HELVETICA,Sans-serif"]Floating Rapala[/font] [/size]
[signature]
[ul][li]my personal best for black crappie was 17 inches caught on the forth of July in 1977. [/li] [li]my personal best was a 14 inch blue gill the end of agust the same year.[/li][/ul]

and nope, I havent seen any thing like them since. I have caught some eleven inch gills and 15 inch crappie once in a great while, but I keep looking for another monster gill or crappie. Talk about puttin up a fight, those guys are bruits.

In the winter if you want to brag about big gills and crappie you need a 12 inch hole, other wise you will be bragging about the ones that got away.[Tongue]
[signature]
Even the smaller ones, although not much meat, can have the fillets bunched together to conjoin themselves in a nice Fish Chowder. That is especially nice in the cooler months and still make a real treat anytime of year.[cool]
[signature]
not around my house, they all get breaded deap fried and served up as popcorn gills.

now I havent tried a chicken style breading yet, I think with light spices it has posibilities.

I have to admit that most of the time I forget to pull out the catchup cocktail saus or tarter sause, and for gills, never lemon either. once in a great while if cooking on the grill salt butter and a tincy bit of garlic.

I go pretty light on the spices too, salt and a dash of cheyann fried golden brown and pull out, they continue to cook after being pulled out of the fryer. and when the flesh is broken open and it is not milk white in color and is pail or translucent white, it means the fish was not cooked all the way though.

off of each gill I get 4 peices of fish, I am to lazy to pluck out the secondary rib bones. I just slice down both sides and pull out the strip of bones all at once.

so 10 fish ends up as 40 peices of popcorn gills on the platter.

and a 10 inch gill I pass off as perch to those who dont like gills. Ya like they could ever tell the differance.... LOL [Tongue]

not that more peices will go any farther, I inhale them till my belly aches. like popcorn shrimp, if ya set down a platter there wont be any reason for taking the platter away till it has emptied.[sly] there aint never any left overs even tho I try to make enough so there would be.....

I like gills, It makes me a jolly good fellow...
I like beer, with gills it makes me feal mellow....

wisky's to rough
champagn cost to much
moon shine puts my mouth in gear

but befor I go,
I want you to know,
as a mater of fact I like Gills and beer......
[signature]
There is nothing wrong with deep fried Gills in batter.

I have been experimenting with different Tempura batters. There are so many different textures that it would make your head spin faster than a spinner blade on a Mepps Comet in the middle of a raging river.

I am looking for a perfect balance that could agree with everyones tummy.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Oh my...gills and beer do sound good... I need to go fishing now!![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I like fish chowder! Milk & heavy cream with Irish potatos for a base .. toss in some the back meat from a mess of stunted gills and happy tummy is just ahead
[Smile]
[signature]
Don't forget a pinch of fresh Tarragon for an added touch of flavor. You may also want to put a pinch of Oregano. These ingredients should be added during the last 10 minutes of simmering for best results.[cool]
[signature]
..... now add some minced onion, shredded carrot, finely sliced celery, pepper and a pinch of old bay ... heck, a glug of a pilsner beer for good measure never hurts either [cool]

just keep the corn on the cobb ... no need to get out of hand here.
[signature]
And for some added crunch, roll the moistened fillet in Crushed, Peppered, Corn flakes and deep fry in peanut oil until crisp.

Bon Apetit![cool]
[signature]