Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please explain rod & reel line capacities...
Hi everyone. I'm a new fisherman and am having trouble understanding line capacities. I know my Penn 209 is rated for 350 yards of 20lb mono. I'm using it for catfishing on lakes no deeper than 30 feet, so don't need that much capacity. I've got 20lb on it now and have already experienced the dreaded line getting sucked up into the side of the spool through the gap. I understand that thicker line (and experience) will prevent that from happening. Is there any reason why I cannot put 60lb Berkley Big Game Trilene on it? In other words, is the manufacturers rating only to give you an idea of capacity, not that the reel can't mechanically handle heavier line?

Also what about ratings on rods? If a rod is rated for 1-4 oz lures and 10-30lb mono, what does that actually mean? Will I have problems if I use 60lb mono? What kind of problems? I'm looking for an inexpensive but tough rod to use with my 209, and the one in question is a Berkley Big Game rod.

Thanks in advance for any info! This forum looks great and I hope to learn a lot and make some new friends!
[signature]
The good old Penn 209. I have one of those in my retired reel case at the house. Good little reels, just slow as all get out.

First off, if you are having line snag issues with lighter line, i bet yours has the shiney steel spool. Mine does, and it's is NOT a light line or small diameter line friendly reel. With that said, it is perfectly fine to put 60 lb mono on that reel. But, what you'll probably run into is, you'll loose some cast-ability doing so. Heavy mono line like that doesn't cast worth a damn because of how stiff and thick it is. I would recommend bumping up to 30 lb mono and call it a day. That should take care of your line getting caught in the spool, and it will still be castable.

The line class on the rod is providing you the safe perimeters of it's capability. So can you use the rod with 60 lb mono if it is rated for up to 30? Absolutely, I do it all the time. But be for warned, if you press your luck, the line will most certainly out last the rod when heavy stress is applied. You will have to insure your drag is set according to your line and rod's capability. If not, you'll get your feelings hurt.
[signature]
Thanks, that clears up a lot for me! My 209 does have the stainless steel spool.
[signature]
Also what about ratings on rods? If a rod is rated for 1-4 oz lures and 10-30lb mono, what does that actually mean? Will I have problems if I use 60lb mono? What kind of problems?
[signature]
First I'd like to welcome you to the site.
Yes, you will have problems if you use 60 lb mono on one rated for 10-30 lb but you could still use it, if it was all you had. In general the heavier the rod the heavier the line. If you are set on using 60 lb test on a lighter rod, then try braided line. Hope that helps.
WH2
[signature]