Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
720 inches
I have high hopes for another 720 inch winter to over fill all the lakes on the Provo river system.
I'm sure some remember 690 inches one year and 720 inches the next year.
How much fun it was to watch people fishing off the wooden bridges in the river flowing down State street.
Do we still have the pumps on the Great Salt Lake.
Think positive
[signature]
we have bare ground in the south.

I'd love to see our reservoirs fill. Even more, I'd love to launch my boat at Hite in October. I guess I can keep dreaming....
[signature]
Man don't know where home is for you, but I live in Cache Valley and it dumped up there over night 8" when I left around 5:00 and was still coming down when I left, starting to look like Jackson hole with all the snow mounds everywhere... Got to work in Roy and no snow.... yet..... Anyway it's looking good for filling the ponds so far...

720 in the hills sounds like more than I've seen but maybe 200" of snow on the ground at one time... 60 feet of snow would cover all the trees... I do remember years when only the tops of the quakies could be seen in the high country... good sledding years... Be interesting... Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Man don't know where home is for you, but I live in Cache Valley and it dumped up there over night 8" when I left around 5:00 and was still coming down when I left, starting to look like Jackson hole with all the snow mounds everywhere... Got to work in Roy and no snow.... yet..... Anyway it's looking good for filling the ponds so far...

720 in the hills sounds like more than I've seen but maybe 200" of snow on the ground at one time... 60 feet of snow would cover all the trees... I do remember years when only the tops of the quakies could be seen in the high country... good sledding years... Be interesting... Later J[/quote]

Alta got 723" of snowfall in the winter of 2010/2011. That's measured as the snow falls. It was 220-ish inches of snow on the ground, but it's something like 3-4' of water. In the flooding of 1983, the issue wasn't the snowpack, which was close to average, but the speed in which it melted and the fact that the ground was already saturated. I remember that well because it turned the 10 minute drive to my grandparent's house into a 90 minute drive for a one-way trip.

I'm hoping that we have a couple of somewhat above average snowpack years that include a nice gradual warmup instead of a sudden shift from freezing to 80 degrees in less than a week.

We've got about 18" of snow on the ground here and that's after most of it melted on tuesday before the last storm came through.
[signature]
We do have an interesting winter under way. Just got back from the in laws in Logan and their snow where it's undisturbed is over my knees and mid upper leg deep pretty tough walking around their house and I think the high today hit 5 degrees. Sure hope this next week of storm will mellow things without flooding us all out. Sure different than the no moisture winters we've been having lately. Well hopefully it will improve the fishing anyway. Later J
[signature]
Currently the State's snowpak is 139% of normal.( Lake Powell snowpak data). So right now, we are in pretty good shape. More rain and snow on Sat and Sun !!!
I definitely hope it ends up being a good snow year but it's way to early to be talking about that. If I recall last year we were on pace for an above average year but then it slowed down and the weather got warm really quickly.
[signature]
Keep it coming, up here on the bench we ran out of room for the snow before the thaw and rain we had last week. I remember the 2010/2011 winter very well, was out shoveling the first weekend in May and some spots in the upper canyons had drifts through Labor Day.
[signature]
[quote fish_hntr]Keep it coming, up here on the bench we ran out of room for the snow before the thaw and rain we had last week. I remember the 2010/2011 winter very well, was out shoveling the first weekend in May and some spots in the upper canyons had drifts through Labor Day.[/quote]

It's one of those things where I'm saying "keep it coming" but in the back of my mind I"m still thinking "we don't need another 1983/1984". One of the jokes in our family is that the best treatment for a burn is frostbite so maybe the best cure for a drought is flooding.

If we can get a good deep snowpack followed by a gradual warmup, we'll be ok. Same deep snowpack and a sudden switch from near-freezing to 80* and it'll be bad.

Matt
[signature]